Monday, September 1, 2008

Fizz setlist 6/18/2007

I originally posted this one on Windyhop too. Starting at 9:30 p.m. on 6/28/2007.
I was kind of unsatisfied with this set - I felt like I relied too much on either run-of-the-mill or heavily played groovy piano-based jazz. I didn't manage to find a way out of that feel until the very end of the set. By way of setup: it was really hot and muggy for most of Monday, and I was anticipating that folks might want to hear some nice, laid-back blues, so I prepped quite a bit of that. It cooled off by 9:30, but it was still pretty hot and sweaty upstairs at Fizz.
  1. Ain't Misbehavin' - Fats Waller - The Very Best of Fats Waller - 3:59
  2. Jazz Me Blues - Jimmy Dorsey - America's Premier Dixieland Jazz Band Live - 1950 - 2:47
    (Folks start to drift in. I recognize some folks that like to bal, so I go with some laid-back, easy balboa tunes. I see quite a few newcomers as well, so I look for music that would be good for east-coasting.)
  3. I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby - Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats - 4:28
  4. When You're Smiling - Benny Goodman - Small Group Recordings - 2:37
  5. Carolina In the Morning - Jimmy Dorsey - Big Band Masters - 3:49
  6. Apollo Jump - Lucky Millinder - Classic Big Band Jazz - 3:26
    (Thought I should throw in a vocal tune. Mack the Knife gets a lot of the newcomers up and on the floor.)
  7. Mack The Knife - Ella Fitzgerald - Mack The Knife: The Complete Ella In Berlin - 4:39
  8. Blues For Stephanie - George Gee - Swingin - 4:15
  9. It's De-Lovely - The Boilermaker Jazz Band - Give Me Your Telephone Number - 4:04
    (And now to Django for one more balboa tune.)
  10. Swing 39 - Quintette Du Hot Club De France - Django Reinhardt 2: Finesse - 3:20
  11. Duke's Place - Ella Fitzgerald - Something To Live For - 4:13
    (I want to transition from classic swing sounds and eventually get to some straight-up blues. Starting with some piano blues.)
  12. Roll With My Baby - The Eric Byrd Trio - Triunity - 4:00
  13. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone - Misunderstood - 5:17
  14. Birth Of The Blues - Oscar Peterson - A Jazz Portrait Of Frank Sinatra - 2:37
  15. Let Me Off Uptown - Roy Eldridge - Little Jazz - 3:24
    (The punchier sound of Anita O'Day seems to appeal, so I move back to a more energetic feel.)
  16. Sent For You Yesterday - Benny Goodman - B.G. In Hi-Fi - 3:05
  17. For Dancers Only - Jimmie Lunceford - Jimmie Lunceford - 2:41
  18. Solid As A Rock - Ella Fitzgerald - Swingin' Ella - 3:00
  19. Tain't What You Do - Jimmie Lunceford - Jimmie Lunceford - 3:06
    (Transitioning into some blues.)
  20. I Want a Tall Skinny Pappa - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - The Gospel of the Blues - 2:52
  21. Money Blues - Lavern Baker - Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith - 2:53
  22. Home To Mississippi - Otis Spann - Best Of The Vanguard Years - 3:29
  23. Juke - Little Walter - The Best Of Little Walter - 2:45
  24. You Upset Me Baby - B.B. King - Singin' The Blues - 3:02
    (Rhythm & Blues doesn't seem to be taking. Sticking with a blues feel, but back to a stand-by modern groove feel.)
  25. Going to Chicago - Barbara Morrison - Live at the 9:20 Special - 5:33
  26. Moten Swing - Oscar Peterson - Night Train - 2:55
    (I feel like I'm definitely in a funk at this point. Don't know where to go.)
  27. Nature Boy - Johnny Hartman - For Trane - 3:29
  28. At Long Last Love - Carmen McRae - The Great American Songbook - 2:27
  29. Moon Song - Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson - Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson - 4:37
    (Moon Song is my way out. Great transition song. You've got Oscar Peterson, a jazz pianist whose music is very comfortable for most Chicago dancers, plus Louis Armstrong whose trumpet sound comes from New Orleans. It lets me move to trumpet-led track with an ensemble-swing sound.)
  30. Keepin' Out A Mishif Now - Carling Family - 20th Jubilee - 3:32
  31. Shine On Harvest Moon - Pete Fountain - Pete Fountain and The Kings Of Dixieland - 2:52
    (Pete Foutain is a modern New Orleans clarinet player - my favorite latest discovery. I love the punchy banjo in this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment