Sunday, August 16, 2009

I do actually listen to non-swing music...

...in case you were wondering. Just for kicks, I'd thought I'd give you an idea of the other sorts of music I listen to. I created the list below by sorting my iTunes library by "Last Played" and then going genre by genre, grabbing some of the most recent tracks I've played. Admittedly, I cherry-picked a bit, mostly to give a more representative collection of artists, rather than listing five tracks by the same band. Some of the genres are in heavier rotation than others too (I think the last time I listened to most of the tracks under Hip-Hop/Rap was some time in 2007). Right now I'm into country music.

I hate having a messy iTunes library, so I always categorize tracks into one of the nine categories below, or into jazz. I also like to arrange things so that all tracks by a given artist fall within one genre. Outside of jazz though, I don't really think too hard about how an artist gets classified, so what you think of as Country, I might call Rock/Pop, what you call Blues, I call Folk, etc. Labels are arbitrary, we get the point. Here goes:

Blues
  • You Do Me Any Old Way - Big Bill Broonzy - In Chicago 1932/1937
  • Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho - Josh White - Josh White Vol. 5 (1944)
  • Cornbread, Peas And Black Molasses - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - An Introduction To Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee
  • Whiskey Makes Me Mean - Gerry Hundt - Since Way Back (We're friends with Gerry and his wife, who's a swing dancer. Gerry's an awesome musician in the Chicago area. Here's his MySpace page.)
  • Sweet Mama Tree Top Tall - The Deep River Boys - London Harmony
  • The Blues Ain't Nothin' But - Georgia White - Georgia White Vol. 3 1937-1939 (Great vocal, GREAT lyrics.)
  • Your Average Kind of Guy - Dr. John - Dr John Plays Mac Rebennack, The Legendary Sessions
Classical
  • Suite for viola and orchestra - Yuri Gandelsman, Slovak Radio Orchestra - Bloch: Israel Symphony; Suite For Viola and Orchestra
  • Symphony No. 9 in E minor From The New World, Op. 95 - Czech Philharmonic Orchestra - Dvorak: Symphonies Nos 7-9
  • Symphony No. 2 in D major op.43 - Philadelphia Orchestra - Sibelius: Symphonies No. 2 & No.7
  • Beethoven: Cello Sonata #3 In A, Op. 69 - Lynn Harrell, Vladimir Ashkenazy - Beethoven: Cello Sonatas
  • IV. Allegro - Pablo Casals - Brahms: Sextet No. 1, Piano Trio No. 1
Country
  • My Window Faces the South - The Time Jumpers - Jumpin' Time (I heard this band in Nashville, at the Station Inn. They play classic western swing.)
  • Struck It Rich - Town Mountain - Heroes And Heretics (Heard these guys in Nashville too. They play bluegrass, including many original songs.)
  • Move It On Over - Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues
  • San Antonio Girl - Lyle Lovett - Anthology Volume One
  • Miss Molly - Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - The Essential Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
  • Let's Chase Each Other Around The Room - Merle Haggard - The Essential Merle Haggard
  • Maybe Sparrow - Neko Case - Live from Austin, Texas
  • Just A Closer Walk With Thee - Patsy Cline - Golden Hits
Folk
  • The Littlest Birds - Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse
  • That'll Be A Better Day - The Old Crow Medicine Show - Eutaw
  • Blue Moon Of Kentucky - Bill Monroe - Smithsonian Folkways American Roots Collection
  • Wagon Wheel - The Old Crow Medicine Show - O.C.M.S. (We love singing along to Old Crow Medicine Show on car rides.)
Gospel (I like listening/singing along to Gospel music. Not for swing dancing though.)
  • When The Saints Go Marching In - Wycliffe Gordon - In The Cross
  • Didn't It Rain - Lavern Baker - Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith
  • Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb - The Soul Stirrers - Shine On Me
  • Move Somewhere - The Swan Silvertones - Singin' In My Soul / Blessed Assurance
  • Come To Jesus - Mahalia Jackson - Oh, My Lord
Hip-Hop/Rap
  • No Diggity - Blackstreet & Dr. Dre - Another Level
  • You Don't See Us - The Roots - Things Fall Apart (Yes, I was in college, and bought a Roots album once.)
  • Bowtie (Featuring Sleepy Brown & Jazze Pha) - Outkast - Speakerboxxx
R&B/Soul
  • Who's Making Love - Johnnie Taylor - Stax Gold
  • Here I Am (Come and Take Me) - Al Green - Greatest Hits
  • You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells - Motown: The Classic Years
  • Good Good Loving - The Simms Twins - Sam Cooke's SAR Records Story: 1959 - 1965 (Disc 2)
  • (Mama)-He Treats Your Daughter Mean - Ruth Brown - Rockin' In Rhythm - Best Of
  • How Do I Let a Good Man Down - Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - Naturally
Rock/Pop
  • Youth Culture Killed My Dog - They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants
  • Before You Accuse Me - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Country
  • Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
  • Nothing Matters When We're Dancing - The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
  • Rain King - Counting Crows - August & Everything After
  • Peggy Day - Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
  • Hotel Yorba - The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
  • Hold On - Tom Waits - Mule Variations
World/Latin
  • Tristeza, Separacion - Astor Piazzolla - Astor Piazzolla Key Works 1984-1989
  • Mami Me Gusto - Ibrahim Ferrer - Buena Vista Social Club Presents Ibrahim Ferrer
  • Miyaabele - Baaba Maal - Missing You (Mi Yeewnii)
  • Jigi Jigi Isapa - King Sunny Ade - Odu (My uncle gave me a KSA tape back in the '80's, and I've been a fan since.)
  • Youth And Pleasure Polka - Vrazel - Golden Sounds (This is from my polka-dancing grandma.)

No comments:

Post a Comment