Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Setlists from WCLX 2008

This past weekend was the tenth installment of the Windy City Lindy Exchange. I did two sets over the course of the weekend. Both setlists are below.

I spun from 1 to 2 a.m. at the Saturday late night at the Galaxie. It was the first set of the night, so people were trickling in the whole time. By about 1:30 the floor was fairly full. I've never deejayed for an exchange late night before--I tried to weigh several different aspects of the situation, though I'm not sure how successful I was. For one, I thought I should keep the energy pretty high, so that people wouldn't get sleepy. Also, down the hall was a second room for dancing--the djs there were playing a very wide variety of tunes including blues, hip-hop, pop, and at least one Tom Waits track. Finally, considering that the deejayed music and band selections from the main dance on Saturday were pretty homogeneous (consisting mostly of New Testament big band arrangements, Sinatra style crooning, and a (pitiful) rendition of Jump, Jive and Wail), I thought I should present some contrast. Here's my set:

  1. Shine On, Harvest Moon - The Ink Spots - Voice Masters Vol. 2 - 3:09
  2. Who Walks In When I Walk Out? - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald - The Wonderful Duets - 2:21
  3. Dat Dere - Oscar Brown Jr. - Sin & Soul ...And Then Some - 2:52
  4. My Blue Heaven - Stuff Smith Quartet - Swingin' Stuff - 3:46
  5. All Of Me - Twin Cities Hot Club - Twin Cities Hot Club - 4:10
  6. It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Lionel Hampton - Lionel Hampton Story 1: Hot Mallets - 3:15
  7. Sugar Blues - Clarence Williams - Boogie Woogie Blues - 3:39
  8. Southern sunset - Swing Parade South - Hommage a Sidney Bechet - 3:32
  9. Everybody Loves My Baby - Sippie Wallace - Sippie - 3:11
  10. Tain't What You Do - Jimmie Lunceford - Jimmie Lunceford - 3:06
  11. Shine On Harvest Moon - Pete Fountain - Pete Fountain and The Kings Of Dixieland - 2:52
  12. All the Cats Join In - Benny Goodman - The Best of The Capitol Years - 4:22
  13. Twenty-Four Robbers - Fats Waller - The Unique Mr. Waller - 2:45
  14. Minor Swing - The Boilermaker Jazz Band - Give Me Your Telephone Number - 3:41
  15. I Don't Care Who Knows - Catherine Russell - Sentimental Streak - 3:18
  16. Smack Dab In The Middle - The Deep River Boys - London Harmony - 2:59
  17. Rock Me All Night Long - The Fabulous Treniers - The Hoss Allen Sessions - 2:41
  18. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home - Jimmie Lunceford - Jimmie Lunceford - 2:54
  19. Never Make You Move Too Soon - Barbara Morrison - Doing All Right - 3:34
  20. Four or Five Times - Joe Williams - For Dancers Only! - 4:48
The exchange committee had planned a dance for Sunday afternoon on Federal Plaza, which is in downtown Chicago (in the Loop, as the locals say). It was raining by the time I got there around 2 p.m. I went to CVS and got some trash bags to keep my equipment dry, then set up my laptop under an umbrella. Less than ideal conditions. There were only a few people there, and seldom more than two couples dancing at one time. The cement was slick from the rain. As often happens at outdoor dances, some passers-by stopped to watch or chat. The last two tracks of my set were requests from some dude that just wandered up. He stayed to dance by himself.
  1. Didn't It Rain - Lavern Baker - Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith - 2:47
  2. Shout, Sister, Shout! - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - The Gospel of the Blues - 2:41
  3. Hoodle-Addle - Ray McKinley Orchestra - You Came A Long Way From St. Louis - 3:21
  4. All Right, Okay, You Win - Count Basie - Count Basie at Newport - 2:45
  5. Aint Nobody's Business If I Do - B.B. King - Ogden's Blues Favorites, Vol. 3 - 3:38
  6. I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues - Doc Cheatham - Putumayo Presents: New Orleans - 3:20
  7. I Ain't Goin' To Cry Anymore - Dinah Washington - Mixed Emotions - 2:40
  8. Chicken Shack - Pinetop Perkins - Ladies Man - 4:28
  9. Tutti Frutti - Slim Gaillard - 1938-46 - 2:38
  10. Like It Is - Erroll Garner - That's My Kick & Gemini - 2:44
  11. It's A Shame - The Spinners - Motown: The Classic Years - 3:10
  12. Teardrops From My Eyes - Ruth Brown - Rockin' In Rhythm - Best Of - 2:59
  13. I Don't Care Who Knows - Catherine Russell - Sentimental Streak - 3:18
  14. Lean Baby - Illinois Jacquet - Flying Home - 3:05
  15. Sermonette - Earl Grant - Singin' & Swingin': The Best Of Earl Grant - 2:42
  16. Ain't Got No Room for the Blues - Banu Gibson - Vintage Banu - 2:46
  17. Confessin' The Blues - Carrie Smith - When You're Down and Out - 4:36
  18. Take The "A" Train - Duke Ellington - The Blanton-Webster Band - 2:54
  19. The Comeback - Count Basie - Count Basie at Newport - 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment