Sunday, January 17, 2010

3rd Fizziversary: Top Tunes

Continuing my look back at 3 years worth of sets from Fizz (1,375 tracks over 40 nights of mouse-jockeying), I thought I'd take a look at the most popular tunes I played, regardless of the artist. When I get hooked on a song, I often go searching for other renditions of the same tune. Playing versions of a song other than the one that folks are most accustomed to can help keep things fresh and interesting, even though the song may be a standard. So, over the past three years, my favorite tunes have been:
  1. All of Me (20 plays, versions by Della Reese, Dick Hyman, Helen O'Connell, Louis Armstrong, Twin Cities Hot Club)
  2. Ain't Misbehavin' (16 plays, versions by Benny Goodman, Kermit Ruffins, Fats Waller, Sidney Bechet))
  3. Honeysuckle Rose (15 plays, versions by Anita O'Day, Twin Cities Hot Club, Django Reinhardt, Katherine Davis, Louis Armstrong)
  4. Sent for You Yesterday (14 plays, versions by Benny Goodman, Count Basie)
  5. For Dancers Only (12 plays, versions by The Solomon Douglas Swingtet, Junior Mance, The American Jazz Orchestra, Jimmie Lunceford)
  6. It's You Who Taught It to Me (12 plays, all from Fats Waller)
  7. Flying Home (11 plays, versions by Charlie Barnet, Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman)
  8. Moten Swing (11 plays, versions by Barnie Kessel, Oscar Peterson)
I think this is a pretty interesting list. The number 1 song happens to be the tune that my wife and I used for our first dance at our wedding. It's disappointing that other versions of Moten Swing didn't make the list, like the Count Basie or Jay McShann recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment