Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fizz setlist 11/10/2008

Monday night I had the late set again. I feel like I did quite a bit better than last time, though there are so many external factors that it is hard to really make much of the comparison. The DJ before me played a very wide variety of music, lots of which I would classify as West Coast music--blues and pop, mixed in with older big band music (e.g., the Henderson band doing Christopher Columbus). To balance out those selections, the first part of my set was geared heavily towards solid, safe music, relying on more swingin' piano jazz/bluesy-jazz than I usually play.
  1. Wade In The Water - Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart - 4:04 (Birthday jam, by request. I know I gave y'all a heart attack when you heard me play this.)
  2. Easy Does It - Paul Tillotson the Love Trio - Lindy Hop Blues - 2:57 (New favorite safety song.)
    (After this track, I decided I wanted to work in Hold It Right There. To do that, I kept the styles similar but started to climb the tempo. )
  3. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A letter - Jay McShann - For Dancers Only! - 3:55
  4. They Raided The Joint - Helen Humes - Let The Good Times Roll - 3:19
  5. Hold It Right There - Joe Williams - Nothin' But the Blues - 2:44 (This thinned out the floor a little.)
  6. Blue Skies - Cootie Williams - Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me - 2:50 (Not the greatest follow-up track.)
  7. Summit Ridge Drive - Buddy DeFranco - Plays Artie Shaw - 4:35
  8. Tain't What You Do - Jimmie Lunceford - Jimmie Lunceford - 2:45 (The whole floor was covered in shim-shammers. To follow up, I decided to go out on a limb with a faster one.)
  9. Well Git It! - George Gee - Buddha Boogie - 2:45 (It took a minute, but eventually a moderately full floor was dancing to this one.)
  10. Hello, Dolly! - Louis Armstrong - Ken Burns Jazz - 2:24 (Recover.)
  11. Yes Indeed - Sy Oliver - Yes Indeed - 3:13
  12. Too Close For Comfort - Dianne Reeves - Good Night, And Good Luck - 3:50
  13. Keepin' Out A Mishif Now - Carling Family - 20th Jubilee - 3:32
  14. It's Only A Paper Moon - Oscar Peterson - With Respect To Nat - 2:32 (Boston throw-back.)
  15. Don't You Miss Your Baby - Jimmy Witherspoon - Jimmy Witherspoon & Panama Francis' Savoy Sultans - 3:55
    (I decide to play some big band sounds, start working out a transition...)
  16. Flat Foot Floogee - Ray Bryant - Swing Dance Special - 2:42
  17. Yacht Club Swing - Fats Waller - Yacht Club Swing 1938 - 3:51
  18. Mood Hollywood - Don Neely's Royal Society Jazz Orchestra - Radio Rhythm - 3:31
  19. Jersey Bounce - Benny Goodman - B.G. In Hi-Fi - 3:07
  20. Vine Street Boogie - Jay McShann - Jumpin' The Blues - 2:37
  21. Cole Slaw - Louis Jordan - Louis Jordan And His Tympani Five, Volume 1 - 2:44
  22. Mr. Gee - Tab Smith - Top 'n' Bottom - 2:49
  23. Ain't Doin' Too Bad - Bobby "Blue" Bland - The Bobby "Blue" Bland Anthology - 2:42 (For Sara. I got a request for some "balboa" music during this track.)
  24. You Upset Me Baby - B.B. King - Singin' The Blues - The Blues - 3:02
  25. Jump & Shout - Erline Harris - For Jumpers Only! - 2:19 (I think I may have satisfied the request with this track, though not sure.)
  26. Rock Me All Night Long - The Fabulous Treniers - The Hoss Allen Sessions - 2:41
  27. Give My Regards To Broadway - Pete Fountain - Dixieland's Kings - 2:37 (Or maybe with this one?)
  28. Pardon My Southern Accent - Jeff Healey - Among Friends - 3:45 (Or this one?)
  29. Comes Love - Miss Tess - When Tomorrow Comes - 3:54 (Tessa was standing next to me in the booth when I played this--she dug the artist. Folks were leaving at about 12:30, so there were only a few couples dancing to these last few songs.)
  30. Twisted Snake - Otis Spann - Otis Spann: Best Of The Vanguard Years - 3:02
  31. It's You Who Taught It To Me - Fats Waller - The Unique Mr. Waller - 2:42
  32. Madame Dynamite - Eddie Condon - Let's Swing It - 2:55
  33. Georgia Cake Walk - Eddie Condon - We Called It Music - 3:06

No comments:

Post a Comment